Wednesday, April 13, 2011

"Be firm on principle but flexible on method." - Zig Ziglar

I was set and ready to write about my favorite quote of all time today, but due to a technological malfunction of the image uploader on Blogger, I will now withhold it until further notice. Bummer. So instead, I'm being flexible. See that, Zig Ziglar? I'm still posting on my blog, although photo-free, but I'm still here nonetheless!


Even though it seems I found this quote by default, I actually really like its meaning. It reminds me of the saying, "let the ends justify the means," but without the harsh Machiavellian connotation. I feel like it applies to each of us on a daily basis; even as we interact with one another, it is not uncommon to change the conversation style, persuasion tactic, body language, and so on, in order to achieve the ultimate goal of connection. Of course I can also see where this notion applies to concrete tasks, after all, if at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

I think the key word in this quote is principle. And defining a "principle" is such a large concept for my tired brain, but I really think 'ol Ziggy is on to something... No wonder he has a kabillion dollar motivational speaking empire. Ultimately, I think the point is to stick to your guns, but on the big stuff like on the values, ethics, and morals behind the actions, rather than the actions themselves. Because after all, methods change, but people rarely do.

P.S. Did you spot the extra colloquialisms today? Guess that means its time to rest this sleepy keppie...

1 comment:

  1. That's nice we are the same for me defining a "principle" is such a large concept for my tired brain. Anyway,will certainly visit your site more often now.

    aljur

    ReplyDelete