Thursday, June 2, 2011

"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon." -Doug Larson

I don't talk politics too often, but I'm just going to put it out there: I love Michelle Obama. And hence, I love this campaign. This morning, The New York Times reported the release of MyPlate (above), the new and improved "food pyramid" which is a part of the first lady's anti-obesity campaign. I don't know about you, but when I was growing up, I never memorized the food pyramid. In fact, I've always found it a bit confusing, and therefore, generally chose to ignore it. Now, that's not to say I just ate cake and candy all day (I wish!), but my proportion of grain to protein to fruits and vegetables is surely not always accurate.

Courtesy ThisNext.com
A few years ago, I saw an advertisement for "portion plates" which have strategically placed decorations on them to encourage portion control (right). How great is that? Some of the plates have words on them so as to relieve any confusion at all, but in general, I think it's a brilliant guide to eating healthier.

So, I say congrats to Michelle Obama and the USDA for capitalizing on this simple, yet creative, and hopefully effective method for teaching kids (and adults!) how to properly fuel their bodies. With portion control, healthy foods, and daily exercise, I look forward to our country's improved health and longevity!

For more information on this campaign, visit www.choosemyplate.gov

P.S. Don't you love the quote? SO TRUE. Mmmm Bacon...

No comments:

Post a Comment