Tuesday, April 26, 2011

"There is no spectacle on earth more appealing than that of a beautiful woman in the act of cooking dinner for someone she loves." — Thomas Wolfe

Probably until yesterday, I would have scoffed at this Thomas Wolfe quote and called it sexist. Today, I still believe that there are many spectacles on earth more appealing than that of a woman in the kitchen, but I can admit that I see his point. I've never really envisioned myself as a future homemaker - instead, often imagining myself in high heels and power suits clicking along the busy city sidewalk to get to my next meeting - but with the time I've had off this past week, I began to dabble in some of those homemaking duties. Cleaning aside, because let's be honest, I find cleaning and organization a stress coping mechanism, I've mostly been doing a lot of cooking!


It started with a grocery shopping fail: stocking up on perishables when I forgot I'd be leaving for vacation. I had all of these delicious ingredients in my house with no time to eat them, so I began cooking for others. Somehow over a few short days, I accomplished a beautifully medium rare roast beef with roasted potatoes, a spring pasta salad, spinach stuffed chicken rollatini with olive oil dressed pasta, and a homemade banana bread. And it all felt great. I definitely value the effort many women put in to making a lovely home for their families, because knowing that you are cooking for someone who is truly appreciative really does feel good. 
Joy of Baking Easy Banana Bread Recipe - It's so easy, I had all the ingredients around the house!

1 cup walnuts or pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped (optional)
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated white sugar
1 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
3 ripe large bananas, mashed well (about 1-1/2 cups)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees; butter (or spray) and flour 9 x 5 x 3 baking pan.
In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nuts (toasting optional). In a separate bowl, combine eggs, butter, mashed bananas, and vanilla extract. Lightly fold the wet ingredients in with the dry ingredients. Batter should not be smooth, but thick and chunky. Scrape batter into pan, and bake between 55 and 60 minutes until the bread is golden brown. Test the bread with a toothpick to make sure it is done. Rest pan on a cooling rack, remove bread, and serve! 

I'm going to continue to enjoy my stint as a homemaker before I get back to the grind of school and work. But now I know, I guess I do have a little bit of Betty Crocker meets Desperate Housewife in me after all! 

1 comment:

  1. Yes, cooking for someone you love is the most amazing feeling. I can't wait to cook WITH and FOR you when you next come home!

    ReplyDelete