Wednesday, March 30, 2011

"The question is not whether we will barbecue, but how we will barbecue." – Joan Borysenko

OK, so the real quote is, "The question is not whether we will die, but how we will live," but NoExcusesBBQ has hilarious barbecue-themed renditions of some of the most famous quotes of all time, and let's be honest, I just couldn't resist!

Yet, the "made-up" Joan Borysenko quote pretty much perfectly applies to last weekend's trip to the annual Hogs for the Cause Barbecue in "City Pork" (aka City Park), New Orleans. The all-day event, a pig-roast, cook-off, fundraiser for pediatric brain cancer, featured 45 teams cooking delicious barbecue and jamming out to live music. Between the two pulled-pork sandwiches, multiple ribs, cole slaw, pork tacos, and ice cold NOLA Blonde beer, I was the happiest kind of full!

Sitting on the lawn with Pulled Pork Sandwich #2 and a Spicy BBQ Rib
Since I'd never seen anything like this before, it was a bit hard to handle all of the full roasted pigs. But, I tried to think of how they were benefiting the children with brain cancer... and my belly... yikes!
People danced, ate, and drank to the live music of New Orleans' staple Soul Rebels Brass Band
And finally, exhausted from the heat and full from the pork and beer, I rested my feet to take a listen to the live music. Never thought I'd own a pair of shoes resembling cowboy boots, but between my new appreciation for southern culture and a sick sale, I couldn't resist these vintage-inspired ankle boots...

May you also be reminiscing about the weekend past, and looking forward to the weekend coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment