Friday, February 18, 2011

"Everywhere I look and most of the time I look, I see photographs." - Bert Hardy

Photo: George Eastman House Collection courtesy Flickr
I have a very rocky history with cameras. 


First there was the polaroid era, great tools, but I regret that I was way to young to truly understand their greatness, so I would pick it up, snap a pic, and put it on a shelf forever.
Then, there were disposable cameras. Pick it up, snap a pic, drop it on the ground, finish the roll, take it to get developed, and gone forever with photos in hand.
Next there was the digital camera era - or should I say cameras - pick it up, snap a pic, drop it on the ground - CRAP! 
Digital Camera #2: pick it up, snap a pic, leave it in a cab - SHOOT! 
Digital Camera #3: pick it up, snap a pic, drop it in liquid - NOOO!


I could go on for about 3 more cameras, but I'll spare you the details. But lucky for me, thanks a very brave gift giver, I now have the Olympus Stylus Tough, and I quote "Waterproof, shockproof, freezeproof, crushproof and shakeproof" (amazon.com). Match made in heaven, minus the fact that it's not loseproof. (*Note: I am not above being jinxed, so if I lose this so-called perfect camera in the near future, tears WILL be shed).


Anywho, so, possibly due to this love-hate relationship with cameras, I have developed a mini-obsession with photography. I want to learn all about it, take pictures constantly, edit my own photos from years and years ago, and bookmark gorgeous work all over the internet. Everywhere I go I think, "ooh that could be a photo!" But, until I've proven my ability to responsibly care for this camera, I'm on probation. As much as I dream about getting a fancy-pants camera, its a no-go for this girl. I've made a commitment to practice as much as I can with my Olympus Stylus Tough until I feel confident that I have developed an appropriate respect for the art of photography, and the tools used in the making. 

No comments:

Post a Comment